West Epping Uniting Church is Celebrating 60 years on
Sunday 15 November 2015
Celebrating the past ~ Embracing the future!
10am: service followed by a luncheon
Guest Preacher: Rev Graeme Gardiner
at West Epping Uniting Church cnr Carlingford Rd & Orchard St, Epping
Everyone is invited! Bring your family, friends and former members.
RSVP: (for catering) 1 November 2015 E: email@example.com
BRIEF HISTORY of WEST EPPING UNITING CHURCH
Our history as a church goes back to the days of Congregationalism and Methodism. The Methodists first established ministry in this immediate area in 1953 with a Sunday School that met in Angus Avenue. The Congregationalists were active in West Epping much earlier from 1925.
Under the leadership of Rev Robert Gibbons, the Methodists acquired land on the Corner of Carlingford Road and Orchard Street (the site where we worship today) and a simple building was erected. The first church service took place here 60 years ago on 12th November 1955. Then on 17th September a new church (now the Maurice Davies Hall) was dedicated. Meanwhile the church we worship in today was faithfully constructed with the support of local Congregationalists to be completed and dedicated on 14th November 1976.
The Congregationalists united with the Methodists on this site and these two communities worshipped as one for the first time on 1st February 1976. Then on 26th June 1977 we all became part of the Uniting Church in Australia.
In November this year we will celebrate 60 years of witness as a church on this site. West Epping’s legacy is an impressive one and it’s important to give thanks to God for all those people who have faithfully served God in this place.